Gervais & Vine: The Indian Summer Drink
620 Gervais Street | 803.799.8463
Recipes from the Hearth of the Homestead: Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Gingerbread
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soft butter or shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspooon each of ground ginger, cinnamon, ground allspice, nutmeg and ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Raisins and candied fruit add to the goodness!
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream sugar and butter. Stir in molasses.
- Dissolve soda in boiling water and mix into butter mixture.
- Combine flour with spices and salt and sift into shortening mixture. Stir well.
- Beat eggs well and add to batter. Add raisins and candied fruit if desired. Pour into greased 9-inch square pan and bake about 35 mintues until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool before cutting.